Skip Navigation

16 September 2010

Five Answers to Common Questions on Changing Your Address

If you need to change your address with USCIS, the following five questions and answers should help you navigate the process a little more easily:

1. How soon after my move should I notify USCIS of my new address?

Most non U.S. citizens must notify USCIS of a new address within 10 days of moving. Exceptions include:
  • Diplomats (visa status A),
  • Official government representatives to an international organization (visa status G), and
  • Certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for fewer than 30 days.
U.S. Citizens are required to notify USCIS of a change of address if they have previously submitted a Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, on behalf of someone who has become a permanent resident. If you have previously submitted a Form I-864 for someone who immigrated to the U.S., and that sponsorship agreement is still in force, you must complete a Form I-865, Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address, within 30 days of the change in address.

2. How do I change my address with USCIS?

You can complete Form AR-11 and change your address on any pending application or petition by using our Online Change of Address service. If you do not use our online service, you must submit Form AR-11 by mail and change your address on any pending applications and/or petitions by calling our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283. For more detailed information, visit our website.

3. Is changing my address with the post office enough?

No. If you are required to change your address with USCIS, but only change your address with the post office, you may not receive important notices about your case. In addition, failure to notify USCIS directly of your change of address may render you in violation of the applicable immigration laws.

4. Do I have to submit a change of address for every pending application or petition?

Yes. To ensure that all USCIS correspondence is sent to your current address, you must submit a change of address for every pending application and/or petition that you have with USCIS. You can do so online or by calling our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

5. Is calling the National Customer Service Center to update my address on pending applications and/or petitions enough?

If you are a non-U.S. citizen (and you do not belong to one of the three excepted groups listed in the answer to question 2), the answer is "no." You must also submit Form AR-11, either online or by mail.

As already mentioned in the answer to question 3, you can update your address on pending applications and/or petitions either online or by calling the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

If you are a U.S. Citizen who previously submitted a Form I-864 that is still in force and you use the National Customer Service Center to update your address on an application or petition pending with USCIS, you must also complete a Form I-865 to satisfy your obligations under the applicable sponsorship regulations.


At September 16, 2010 at 6:22:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Thank you for clarifying on the AR-11 requirements. You guys are doing a great job.

I would like to request that the Pending Employment base i-485 report be updated. The report was last updated in May. A newer report will be very useful for the employment based immigrant community

At September 17, 2010 at 9:22:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

USCIS Blog Team:
Please Convey the message to the TOP Management inside USCIS.

Message " Please Let Approved I-140 Applicants file for Change of Status(AOS)I-485 & EAD. Atleast they can wait until their number is arrived little peacefully"

A post in FEDERAL REGISTER would allow that rule and would help thousands of people.

The measure to Tighten the I-140 is a good measure , but allowing approved I-140 applicant ( India /china) to file for I-485 is equally important irrespective of priority dates.

Priority dates are required to Green Card (Physical) but AOS does not need that.

Kindly do the needful.

At September 20, 2010 at 9:34:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...


i am a green card holder effective january, 2010. i will like to know how long i have to wait before i can bring my spouse to live with us, as i'm living here alone with my two children.

At September 21, 2010 at 1:12:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please help the EB category, especially EB-3 India and China. They will never get spillover, they will take forever to get approved...

At September 23, 2010 at 1:59:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the details on requirements for change of address. This post has come at a time when I have encountered a issue during this process.

Me & my spouse moved between states during Oct last year and had our I-485 cases pending. We went through the online process of filing the AR-11 form and updating our case during the COA process within the required 10 days of moving. However, the USCIS system only reflected the change of address for one of us. As a result, when our cases went to the IO for processing (on being current) after couple of months, we were issued an RFE on this account. Although, I had the confirmation record of the previous attempt, I found out via infopass that my address was not changed in the system and had to redo the process thereby causing delay in getting our AOS cases approved.

So, when I look back at the event and read through the guidelines posted above I wonder is this process really needed? How does the administration determine if the address was indeed changed within 10 days of move? If this is just an old process being followed, is it time to review this or drop it altogether?

At September 30, 2010 at 11:31:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are we trying to be a police state like USSR was? If the paperwork was processed properly the first time around and people in EB categories are not left out there for years and years this sort of antiquated system may not be necessary. It is puzzling USCIS staff is wasting time on these issues. Applicants and petitioners have already provided more than enough info. Some petiotioners are even going belly up with this distraction. Many of EB category applicants documents such as drivers license etc are expiring for no mistake of theirs. Shortly people will also expire. Oh! they are already buried in years of paperwork!!! People - please do something soon and give us the good news. Thanks.

At October 13, 2010 at 4:17:00 PM EDT , Anonymous J.Lening said...

The publication recognizes the diversity of the private sector and includes resources for academia, nonprofits, NGOs, and businesses large and small. DHS has repeatedly stated the important role played by these actors in our nation’s homeland security and has worked to strengthen partnerships and increase engagement at the local, state, and federal levels. Earlier this year, DHS released the Quadrennial Homeland Security Review report to Congress outlining an enterprise approach to homeland security in which multiple partners including the private sector share roles and responsibilities in upholding the public safety and well-being of the United States.

At October 20, 2010 at 12:06:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Patrick said...

Very useful post. Thank you for sharing!

At October 24, 2010 at 8:03:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My catagory is I 130. After post decession my documents were sent to my address. document was not delivered due to the address problem and it was returned. Now my case is again in intial review. how long it may take to process the case to be complete.

At June 10, 2011 at 3:06:00 PM EDT , Anonymous tatil otelleri said...

I was looking information about changing address with USCIS.I appreciate.

At April 2, 2012 at 11:13:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. What do you mean under "pending case" ("pending application", "pending petition")? If I have a Green Card (issued in 2010) and which requires removing of conditions, is my case pending?

At June 28, 2012 at 12:31:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! What if I made а mistake in my form AR-11 ( date of birth is not correct) 1 year ago, but found this out just now? What should I do? To file a new form online? My address is still the same...
Thank you.

At August 2, 2012 at 2:35:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a pending i485 and I changed my address online on july 10th and up to now i havent received any notice from uscis,how do i confirm whether my address was changed in the system,JB

At September 20, 2012 at 1:03:00 AM EDT , Anonymous david said...

Very appreciate your clear explanation. This solved my problem.

At June 17, 2013 at 7:34:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What if I made а mistake in my form AR-11 ( Zip Code is not correct)?

Thank you.

At December 24, 2013 at 5:41:00 PM EST , Blogger rajesh said...

I have changed the address online filling AR 11. last evening i got a message from USCIS that case status has changed to testing and interview. and today early in morning its says that your address has been changed case statsu is again initial review where in i have already done with my Biometrics. Any help i would really appreciate it. Thanks

At January 7, 2014 at 10:36:00 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to change my address online but it kept on saying my receipt # was invalid, i don't know what to do. I checked and tried it a 100 times but it just wouldn't get through. Also calles Customer Service but they refuse to help even when i offered to provide my A #.

At February 9, 2014 at 10:52:00 AM EST , Anonymous ukash kart satın al said...

i am a green card holder effective january, 2010. i will like to know how long i have to wait before i can bring my spouse to live with us, as i'm living here alone with my two children.

At April 8, 2014 at 5:57:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I have submitted address change online and file AR11 by online as well. I have received email confirmation saying that the new address has been successfully submitted. Does it mean that the USCIS already confirmed my new address and keep it in their file?

I am currently under conditional green card and I need to apply before October 2014 but I haven't received any mail notifying me to apply for permanent green card. I am just worried if it might be mailed to my old address.

Please advise.

Thank you so much in advance.

At May 31, 2014 at 11:53:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

after I change my address online and I get my confirmation number after how long should I get my green card?

At September 3, 2014 at 10:30:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

if I failed to inform you right away within 10 days of filing change of address-no bad intention, just forgot, how or where do I get the form to file failure to report

At December 3, 2014 at 11:45:00 PM EST , Anonymous merna said...

If i moved case from state to another state while im pending asylee will it effect my woek permit renewal ?

At December 3, 2014 at 11:46:00 PM EST , Anonymous merna said...

Change adress from state to state while im pending asylum will affect my work permit renewal ?

At April 9, 2015 at 1:21:00 PM EDT , Anonymous laura said...

I changed my address but i dont receive any letter about changing my address . ??? Uscis sent anything about changing address ? This is my first address changing . 2.5 month after bio appointment . Did it effect green card

At July 1, 2015 at 11:34:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Marie said...

I tried to change my address online but it always says a technical error has occurred. What can I do?


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home