Skip Navigation

21 October 2013

Applying for Citizenship? What to Know and Bring to Your Naturalization Interview

At USCIS, we understand that applying for naturalization is part of a life-changing process. We have developed several tools to assist you. In addition to our Citizenship Resource Center, we have resources that help you understand what to submit with your application and what to bring to your interview. These tools include A Guide to Naturalization, a “Thinking About Applying for Naturalization?” flyer, and the Document Checklist for Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Documents to bring to your naturalization interview:
  • Your Green Card (formally known as Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card)
  • A photocopy of the front and back of your Green Card
  • Your driver’s license or state-issued identification card
  • All current and expired passports or travel documents  
  • Copies of your tax returns for the past five years (or three years if you are married to a U.S. citizen)
Depending on your individual case, you may need to submit other items with your application. If you don’t submit additional items that are requested when you file, your application could be delayed. These other items may include:
  • A completed, original Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative, if you have new representation or if the Form G-28 has not previously been submitted
  • A copy of your marriage certificate
  • A copy of your divorce or annulment certificate
  • A copy of the death certificate for your former spouse
  • Proof of your spouse’s U.S. citizenship
  • Proof of your Selective Service registration (this evidence is required for all men between the ages of 18 and 31—you can get information about your registration here)  
  • A copy of the court decree legally changing your name
  • Original, certified copies of court dispositions for all arrests and detentions (including expunged records and plea bargains)
  • An original, official statement by the arresting agency or applicant court confirming that no charges were filed
  • Original, certified copies of all probation and parole records
  • Evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program
  • A completed, original Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service
  • Evidence that you continued to pay rent or a mortgage (if you have taken a trip outside the U.S. for six months or longer)
  • A copy of any court order requiring you to pay spousal or child support
  • Evidence that you have complied with a court order requiring you to pay spousal or child support (for example cancelled checks, receipts, court or agency printouts, evidence of wage garnishments, or a letter from the parent or guardian of the child(ren)
  • All correspondence with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regarding your failure to file taxes
  • A signed agreement from the IRS or state or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe
  • Documentation from the IRS or state or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program
  • An original Form N-648, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions, completed less than six months ago by a licensed medical or osteopathic doctor or licensed clinical psychologist
The USCIS Naturalization Interview and Test video can help you prepare for naturalization.

This 16-minute video offers an overview of the naturalization process and testing requirements, including a simulated interview with an applicant and a USCIS officer.



At December 23, 2013 at 2:57:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iam a mom of five wonderful kids have lived in the U.S for ten years forwarding my education of becoming a teacher, hou can I apply for a green card

At February 21, 2014 at 5:49:00 PM EST , Blogger Brandy Lynne said...

I was recently on the phone with an USCIS officer and was rudely hung up on. He asked me for information I couldn't provide because of an ex step father who is withholding information and I am not speaking to because he sexually assaulted me when I was younger. I tried to provide that information to him but he completely blew me off and said I'm hanging up on you. Bye. I feel as a government employee and a customer service job you should hear what I had to say before judging me and not allowing me to speak. I would like for someone to help me complete the steps I need to take to resolve my citizen issues rather than hanging up on me. This is not the American way.

At February 21, 2014 at 5:55:00 PM EST , Blogger Brandy Lynne said...

I have been struggling on getting an answer to my questions about my citizen status. I called and finally got through to the officer when he asked me my name and then some information that I could not answer. He immediately got angry and rude and demanded why I didn't have the information. I tried to explain that my ex step father was withholding my information and I am not speaking to him because he sexually assaulted me and I wish to never speak or hear from him again. But the officer never gave me a chance to explain all of this and instead was rude and told me he was going to hang up and proceeded to with a very coy bye. I just need a simple answer and I can provide as much as I know but when I get people like this that are in the customer service field and are rude that makes me believe I will never get an answer. He brought me to tears and didn't even care. Way to be American.

At March 21, 2014 at 8:03:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a citizenship interview coming soon. They say, I have to bring tax return papers. However I am disabled and my only source of income is from social security disability benefit which is less than $25000 a month. I was advised that I don't have to file federal and state tax. What kind of documents I should take with me since I do not have tax returns.

At April 20, 2014 at 2:53:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put NO instead of Yes on my n400 page 7 part 10 "Affiliation" But I did mention my affiliation in corresponding field and provided supplemental documents. What should I do please help

At July 25, 2014 at 9:54:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am waiting for my interview letter, got yellow letter June 14,2014 which said I should bring state ID and all passport. My problem is I had shredded my old passport years ago after getting the new one (I had no idea I would ever need it since it's expired) I am really worried anyone with any ideas

At October 13, 2014 at 12:18:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im going to my citizen interview and cannot find my Mexican passport. Does anyone know if it will be a problem? Please help..

At October 13, 2014 at 12:20:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you let me know what happened because I cant find mine

At November 29, 2014 at 12:10:00 AM EST , Blogger LA-CA said...

What's the time frame between biometrics and interview call? Thanx

At December 18, 2014 at 12:41:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lost my first passport and i made a new one? is there any solution for my situation?

At January 2, 2015 at 7:46:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I file my taxes every year, but owe taxes to the IRS for the 2008, 2001, 2012 years. I have a re-payment agreement in place. Will this effect my approval status?

At January 24, 2015 at 3:47:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe this should affect your status, as you have a plan which you are currently working that you are paying your taxes. It would be a bigger issue if you did not file taxes when you were supposed to and that you would have a tax liability if you did. As well, if you do owe taxes and you aren't making an effort to pay.

At January 24, 2015 at 3:48:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do they mean when they say bring all passports even expired. Does that mean if I have a passport for a country which I do not have a current, but I have an expired passport to bring it? Or if I have my current and expired passports for my current country of citizenship, then I must bring all my expired passports along with my current passport??

At February 14, 2015 at 9:35:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to my inyerview and i pass my test but i miss some documentation my divorce decree i wonder if i have to go for a second interview?

At February 26, 2015 at 11:43:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not worked, have health issues (staying with family) and therefore did not file taxes.Can this affect my citizenship application. My family claimed me as a dependent on their tax return. Would I need an affidavit of support from them?

At April 1, 2015 at 12:03:00 PM EDT , Blogger Nelmae Lim said...

I mailed my n400 last month and i was found out that i made a mistake on page 13 number 7. The question is have you ever not filled tax return answer is yes because i missed to read the word NOT but on my application i submitted my tax return this year. Did you think can cause of this problem? I had a tax return since i am a permanent resident. Need help so worried. Thank

At April 19, 2015 at 1:10:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was married and got divorced ,i spent 5 years in the stats but i only have 3 years tax return can is that ok

At June 24, 2015 at 12:28:00 PM EDT , Blogger Kary said...

I went to my interview yesterday and I pass the text. however I find out that when my parents became citizen I was also eligible to get it through them since I was still under the age of 18. Now that I filled the Form N-400 and got through the process of the interview I was told by my USCIS Officer that my file need to be review whether I was suppose to get it through my parents or as independent. Can anyone help me with this situation cause I'm confuse and I don't know how long I have to wait.

At November 8, 2015 at 9:27:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have citizenship interview next month. I am missing my old passport but have the current passport is valid. I have not gone of the country for past 13 years. I am worried now because I do not have my old passport. Any suggestion?

At December 28, 2015 at 12:37:00 AM EST , Blogger Unknown said...

My green card expires in june 2016 I cannot afford to pay it this month. I plan to apply in January 2016 will I be too late or is there any consequence to this since December 2015 marks the "6 months prior to" expiration date. And also what evidence do I have to submit if I owe the Federal Taxes from 2012,2013 and 2014. But I have a payment agreement made. Thank you.

At January 31, 2016 at 4:00:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I filed my n400, I saw that they charge my account, but a few days later removed the charge... Should I be worried?

At March 11, 2016 at 12:52:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi i field for n 400 .. on 2014 december 26 .. still waitng for interview .. is it anything i can do to make may case move littile faster? i have no idie where i made mastekae?

At November 15, 2016 at 9:28:00 AM EST , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm filling for my citizenship, but I don't know the exact date my father became a U.S citizen. Any idea what I should do?


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home