Skip Navigation

09 May 2014

Five Questions about Advance Parole

Advance parole is most commonly used when someone has Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, pending.  If you depart the United States while your I-485 application is pending without first obtaining advance parole, your case will be denied, unless you fit into a narrow exception for those maintaining certain nonimmigrant statuses.

Do I need advance parole if I am flying from the continental United States to Puerto Rico?  What about Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, or the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands?

No, advance parole would not be needed if you travel directly between parts of the United States, which includes Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), without entering a foreign port or place.

Can I travel outside of the U.S. when my application for advance parole is pending?

If you travel outside the United States while your Form I-485 application is pending and you do not have a valid advance parole, your case may be denied for abandonment.  There is a narrow exception for individuals maintaining certain nonimmigrant statuses. 

I have an emergency and need to leave the country, but do not have advance parole.  What can I do?

If you are experiencing an extremely urgent situation, you may visit your local USCIS field office to request an emergency advance parole document.  When visiting a field office to request emergency advance parole, you should bring the following items:
  • A completed and signed Form I-131, Application for Travel Document
  • The correct I-131 filing fee or receipt of a pending Form I-131 
  • Evidence to support the emergency request (e.g. medical documentation, death certificate)
  • Two passport-style photos.
I’m going on a cruise, do I need advance parole?

Maybe - it depends on where you are going on your cruise.  As discussed in question one above, if you are traveling directly between two parts of the United States (e.g., between Florida and Puerto Rico), an advance parole will not be needed.  If you will be traveling to other countries or non-U.S. territories, advance parole would be necessary. 

I am in H-4 nonimmigrant status, have a Form I-485 pending, and am traveling abroad, do I need advance parole?

If the H status principal’s adjustment of status application is approved while you are abroad, you would no longer be considered to be in valid H-4 status.  In this situation, your Form I-485 may be denied for abandonment because you did not have advance parole. 

Labels: ,


At June 18, 2014 at 3:26:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If one's green card is in process for renewal and fingreprints have been completed and a sticker was placed on the back of the green stating that green card is valid until Decmber 2014. Can one travel outside the U.S.?

At June 20, 2014 at 3:35:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have DACA. Do I need advance parole to travel directly between parts of the United States, which includes Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Hawaii?

At June 24, 2014 at 10:32:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the general accepted length of time for an individual leaving Advanced Parole to be outside of the US?

At July 27, 2014 at 9:41:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...


I am a DACA receipient who applied for Advance Parole for work-related reasons. My AP request approved but I have a few questions:

My question regarding AP would be:
(1) for DACA recipients, are we only allowed to travel during the period specified in our AP letter? that is, from the date issued to the date specified?


is it that we can travel anytime as long as we return PRIOR to the date specified?

(2) what happens if we travel before one or two days before the specified in our AP letter? for example, one or two day before the start date of our AP? will we be considered "having willingly left?"

Please answer this question at your earliest convenience; thank you!

At October 2, 2014 at 7:47:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what kind of questions are asked at the uscis centre regarding advance parole passport if you hold a green card and is not living in usa due to elderly parents commitments?

At October 18, 2014 at 11:51:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have TPS (El Salvador). I applied to the advance parole to travel to Spain and star my master in aerospace and I got it. Unfortunately due to money situation I won't be able to attend this year. One of my relatives is very sick and I they need me to be there. Can I travel to El salvador using the advance parole document I got to go to Spain for school reasons and be able to come back to U.S.A without any issues.

At December 3, 2014 at 11:08:00 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"your case will be denied unless you fit into a narrow exception for those maintaining certain nonimmigrant statuses"; What are the exceptions?

At February 1, 2015 at 1:40:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My I485 is in pending status when I traveled to India on advance parole. Now I got my GC to US address which my friend brought to India. Can I enter US with my new GC?
My parole expires in a month. Can I travel to US after my parole expires with my new GC?

At February 17, 2015 at 1:15:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is the narrow exception? Can a Canadian citizen who received advance parole but no longer has the card (although still valid) re-enter the US?

At March 19, 2015 at 9:19:00 AM EDT , Blogger André Laurore said...

If a person has TPS, does he/she need an advance parole or a re-entry permit

At April 3, 2015 at 1:24:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, just making sure. I entered the US on a K1 visa and got married. My AOS application is still pending. I have an employment card and a non-driver's ID. Can I visit USVI? (flight with a stop in Puerto Rico)? Thank you!

At April 19, 2015 at 8:59:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My spouse intends to apply for EAD for H4 holders when it opens up. I have approved I140 and we both have valid H1/H4 visa expiring in 2017. Will her EAD application be still valid if she or me leaves country when the application is under pending status?

At May 6, 2015 at 1:09:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Advance Parole is taking more than 6 months which we get only for Year span for travel. Please do something to expedite the process or extend the period to two years instead of one year.

At May 12, 2015 at 1:22:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...


At June 21, 2015 at 7:09:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...


I recently graduated from college with F-1 visa. Currently, I am working with a valid Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766). My F-1 visa has not expired yet. Do I need an Advance Parole when traveling abroad?
Thank you

At July 2, 2015 at 7:49:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

my unlawful presence waiver was approve, im just waiting for my consular meeting and i have DACA. Do I need to apply for Advance Parole to leave to my consular meeting?

At July 15, 2015 at 4:09:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i want to visit my dad who i couldn't meet for 11 years. how can i prove it or what kind of documents should i submit?


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home